IAABO Board 150 was founded for the 1954-55 season. Since that time, officials representing
our board have been models of excellence in applying the established rules and mechanics.
Through your membership in the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials,
Inc. you are a member of the only organization of its kind in the world: a nonprofit
service and professional organization managed by and for basketball referees. Founded
in 1923, IAABO's stated purposes are:
- To educate, train, develop, and provide continuous instruction for basketball officials.
- To promote the welfare of the game of basketball, its players and officials.
- To maintain the highest standard of basketball officiating.
- To encourage the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship.
- To have available at all times an adequate number of thoroughly trained and capable
- To Cooperate with all organizations officially connected with the game of basketball
in furthering its interests and ideals.
Through a worldwide organization of some 200 local "boards" spanning 38 States and
11 foreign counties, IAABO has been the unparalleled and undisputed leader in worldwide
training of basketball officials in the areas of:
- Basketball rules
- Mechanics and techniques of officiating
- Organization of local officials' groups
- Development of curricula and standards by which other officials' organizations are
Training and education processes are ongoing—augmented by comprehensive written and
practical programs, updated annually (or more often as needed). Throughout the year,
the IAABO office, in conjunction with nationally acclaimed clinicians, constantly
develops and improves teaching and testing